This post wraps up my thoughts and observations for my 30 for 30 Challenge. You can read Part #1 HERE.
- I ate a lot fewer snacks after dinner. I am not sure if this happened because I was satiated and didn’t want more food, or if it was from a more conscious effort on my part to not eat after dinner. Probably both.
- We ate out a lot less. This is a HUGE positive for me. You can control everything from the quality to what goes in your food when you cook at home. And you save money, even if you are buying mostly organic ingredients.
- Winter is a good time to try out this way of eating. I cooked a lot of soups and thick stews and roasted a lot of veggies. In the summer, I suppose it would consist of a lot more raw foods.
- I juiced more.
- I drank a green smoothie 5-6 times a week. That is pretty standard for me anyway.
- Snacks included fruits, veggies, nuts, nut butters, Lara bars, smoothies, or fresh juice.
- I made big batch of rice or quinoa at the beginning of the week, and I used it throughout the week for lunches and dinners. Huge time saver. This is something I will continue to implement.
- I am a migraine sufferer. For those of you who do not know me, this has been a HUGE driver in my quest to understand foods, how my body reacts to foods (or the lack of certain foods), learning about nutrition, stress, exercise, and wellness. I know that when I do not eat well, I get headaches. Sometimes when I do not get enough protein, I get a headache. I was worried about getting a lot of headaches on this diet. I am SO happy to report that I only had two migraines in the last month…both brought on by drinking red wine the night before. I have yet to have another glass of wine. I know that red wine is a trigger for me, but I like having a glass of it here and there. Sad!
- I lost four pounds without working out or trying to lose weight. This is proof that carbs are not the devil. Sugar, refined carbs, over processed junk, and additives you cannot pronounce are close though. February starts a new workout regimen!
- I realized on day 25 that I didn’t have any cravings for anything bad…even with the end of the diet nearing. I wasn’t looking forward to eating meat, cheese, or crap.
- I had a lot of energy throughout the entire month. I didn’t notice a change in my sleeping patterns, but I have never had an issue with sleeping!
- I felt great for the 30 days, minus the two days I had migraines.
I am now consuming meat again. If I am cooking at home, I choose organic chicken. I will soon start eating wild caught fish again. I haven’t had any dairy, and I am going to keep it out of my diet for another month to see how I feel.